About Me

I am 28 years old, 6'6" and 112kg. This will give you an insight into my game and what I can do for your team.

Thursday 11 June 2009

The real world of rugby

As I said, I had a full time offer from a big club in the first division but it wasn't enough to support my bills and basic outgoings. A rugby contract at my level is based around uplifts, more often than not. You get a retained salary, however you get match fee money. My contract was 150 per game. However, if you string together 3 games in a row it would rise to 300, 5 500 etc. My chances this year of playing consistently enough to bring my income to meet my expenses was unrealistic.

The purists out there will say train harder, do this, do that. However, squads work in rotation to keep uplift down and the message from the off is I am back up. All I really want is to play week in week out anywhere I am but still get rewarded for it. This is the real world kicking in.

I was playing semi-pro until the end of last season and now, havinghad a good, well documented county season have a greater market value. That is why I have accepted a two year deal in Holland. 50k per annum, free accommodation and work experience at a sponsor. That is market economics and an example of the real word in sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment