About Me

I am 28 years old, 6'6" and 112kg. This will give you an insight into my game and what I can do for your team.

Thursday 11 June 2009

Natural traits and getting a job

It's a lie to praise rugby's apparent desire to embrace body sizes and shapes. If i'd been born 5'10 and 80 kg I wouldn't have achieved what I have.

It is because of my physical attributes I get work. Being a latecomer and, as my agent put it "an unknown" ( i missed out on divisional and national honours as a teen) I have to sell what I have: my size and athleticism.

Indeed, it is a greater prejudice to a Director of Rugby if you haven't come from a premiership academy. The best players I see on the circuit tend not to come from one of the RFU conveyer belts but are late bloomers, guys who are clumsy and ill co-ordinated teenagers who develop into super grown ups. It raises questions about why the RFU does what it does. (infact, i've missed out on a dream job because of this, More later)

My time in Wales (where i came back to the game) seemed much more honest and transparent. You pay for the town, the region and the country and you seemingly get your opportunities. If the lock or blindside is called up by the Ospreys from Swansea then a wratchet mechanism occurs. Swansea may have to call someone in from Gorsenion and Gorsenion may have to.......You get the picture. In England it is a case of get into the academy and your career is decided.

The RFU works the other way. They loan the academy players to the nationl league clubs which makes my life difficult. Up until recently i've had delusions of grandeur by playing a 6 or 8. The academys are full of these guys and they are constantly sent doen to us to get game time. That makes keeping your job harder and more importantly, keeping your foot in the door for another contract or another club looking at you for the following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment