About Me

I am 28 years old, 6'6" and 112kg. This will give you an insight into my game and what I can do for your team.

Thursday 11 June 2009

The Academy deficit

I lost out on my dream job this week. The role I saw as a pathway to future glory, Rugby world covers and future journeys to the Antipodes on the back Of the RFU's commercial department and perhaps mae a trip thanks to HSBC, the well endowed B&I Lions sponsor.

After a well performed and aggressive County Championships I was offered a number of conversations with National one clubs. Thanks to the RFU's Re-structure all the clubs in the 2nd tier are full time and will be travelling to Europe this season to play. A joy for the parochial merc. We tend to hammer out our weekends in places like Stourbridge, Hemel Hempstead and Lydney. If we are lucky we might get a visit to London Scottish (for some glamour), Worthing (for some sea air) or Bracknell (for a lesson in Urban planning).

The chance to be in talks meant I was on the right path, learning my trade, taking the right angles and basically looking like a 6'6" 18 stone lock who is fairly quick and fit should look. I was offered a contract but on the premise that I was very much low down the pecking order and my financial guarentees reflected this. I will get onto contract structures later, but suffice to say lots of income is dependent on the number of games played etc.

I was also contracted for the summer to a premier club in Oz. That turned into a farce. I spent the sum of one week there before coming home. I though silver lining. I can rest and get my body into shape. Awesome. I'll fight for that starting place and make decent money and not be fatigued.

The call comes in. "Hi Rugby Merc". "It's big rugby club director of rugby here". Just to let you know. We are signing ex premiership club lock with 22 appearances last year". "He came onto the market, was available and has family in the area". "We'd still like to see you at pre-season and re-nogotiate our agreement, in all honsty though we'll loan you out to (insert level 4 club here) for the year and call you when everyone's injured, that is if you are still fit."

Back to the drawing board. That club was worth going to for the exposure and I could have lived on the money (just), but renotiation means one thing. Less cash and with a lifestyle to maintain you have to think long and hard: The quality of being in a full time environment but not playing or seeking a lower standard but cash. My problem, to justify my probable decision, is my lost years. I need to play to get experience.......

No comments:

Post a Comment